Justin S. Golub, MD, MS
- Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery
This provider accepts new patients
Appointment Phone Number: (212) 305-8555
This provider sees pediatric patients
Justin S. Golub, MD, MS is an otologist/neurotologist, a specialist of the ear and the surrounding skull base. He provides both medical and surgical treatment of common disorders as well as rare, complex conditions. One of Dr. Golub's passions is introducing cutting edge treatments to the practice of otology, such as endoscopic ear surgery. He is actively engaged in clinical and translational research to improve patient care and outcomes.
Dr. Golub completed his medical training at Emory University School of Medicine, where he spent an additional year performing research in regenerative medicine at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He then pursued Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery training at the University of Washington in Seattle, where he had additional research training on an NIH T32 grant. Afterwards, he completed a two-year accredited fellowship in Otology, Neurotology, and Skull Base Surgery at the University of Cincinnati and Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. Finally, he obtained a masters of science in Biostatistics/Patient Oriented Research at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health. A native New Yorker, Dr. Golub is excited to take care of patients at Columbia after spending nearly two decades away in school and training.
Dr. Golub's practice is focused on disorders of the ears and surrounding structures of the skull. This includes hearing loss, infectious ear disease, inner ear balance problems, tumors, and skull base conditions such as vestibular schwannoma (acoustic neuroma).
He is actively involved in researching new techniques and technologies. Several areas of interest include minimally invasive and endoscopic ear surgery, cochlear implants and other implantable ear prostheses, and regenerative techniques such as gene therapy for hearing loss. Dr. Golub is also interested in age-related hearing loss.
He is the author of more than 30 peer-reviewed publications in otolaryngology and 20 book chapters. He has also co-edited three books, including a best-selling training guide.
As a physician at Columbia, Dr. Golub is able to collaborate with a wide variety of renowned specialists to bring multiple areas of expertise to patient care. For ear disorders, he works with audiologists, balance therapists, neurologists, and oral surgeons. For skull base disorders, he works closely with neurosurgery, radiation oncology, neuroradiology, and medical oncology.
Dr. Golub would be excited to meet you at either of his clinical locations in Riverdale, Bronx or at the main Columbia University Medical Center campus.
Areas of Expertise
- Endoscopic Surgery
- Facial Nerve Disorders
- Facial Nerve Surgery
- Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
- Tympanic Membrane Repair
- Hearing Loss
- Hemifacial Spasm
- Implantation of Hearing Device In Temporal Bone
- Mastoid Surgery
- Meniere's Disease
- Middle Ear Disease
- Otitis Media
- Skull Base Tumors
- Skull Base Surgery
- Glomus Tumor
- Cochlear Implantation
- Pediatric Otology
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Acoustic Neuroma
- Bell's Palsy
- Chordoma Tumor
- Ear Drum Repair
- Ear Infection
- Ear Laser Surgery
- Ear Surgery
Education & Training
- MD, Emory University School of Medicine
- Residency: University of Washington Medical Center
- Fellowship: University of Cincinnati Medical Center
Harkness Pavilion180 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10032
- For new and current patient appointments, call:
- (212) 305-8555
- (212) 305-2249
ColumbiaDoctors Riverdale3050 Corlear Avenue
Floor: 2, Suite: 202
Bronx, NY 10463
- (646) 317-5200
- For new and current patient appointments, call:
- (212) 305-8555
Practices and Centers
- ColumbiaDoctors Riverdale
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Lawrence Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
Please contact the provider's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, NY Signature, POS, PPO, Signature Administrators, Student Health]
- Affinity [Access (Exchange), Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Amida Care [Special Needs Plan]
- Cigna [EPO, Great West, HMO, POS, PPO]
- Emblem/GHI [HMO, Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Emblem/HIP [ConnectiCare, EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield [Blue Priority, EPO, HMO, Medicare (Mediblue), NYP Employee Plan, Pathway (Exchange), POS, PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HealthPlus [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Fidelis Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Healthfirst [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Local 1199 [Local 1199]
- MagnaCare [MagnaCare]
- Medicare [Traditional Medicare (NY)]
- Multiplan [Multiplan]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty, Medicare Managed Care]
- PHCS [PPO]
- POMCO [POMCO]
- UnitedHealthcare [Columbia University Employee Plan, Compass (Exchange), EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid (Community Plan), Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO, The Empire Plan (NYSHIP)]
- VNSNY CHOICE [SelectHealth]
- WellCare [Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
Selected national and regional presentations:
Poon CB, Samy RN, Golub JS, Stevens S, Pensak M. The impact of otology surgery videos on resident training. Oral presentation at the Triological Society Combined Section Meeting. Jan 2016. Miami, FL.
Golub JS, Hixson NH, Hammer T, Houston L, Meinzen-Derr J, Syms MJ, Samy RN. Assessing factors important to prospective cochlear implant candidates. Poster presentation at the American Cochlear Implant Alliance Symposium. Oct 2015. Washington, DC.
Altman A, Golub JS, Samy RN. Bilateral facial paralysis after ipilimumab infusion for melanoma. Oral presentation at the Facial Nerve Study Group at the American Neurotology Society Fall Meeting. Sept 2015. Dallas, TX.
Golub JS, Hammer T, Samy RN. Bilateral facial nerve stimulation after cochlear implantation occurring with device on and off. Oral presentation at the William House Cochlear Implant Study Group at the American Neurotology Society. Sept 2015. Dallas, TX.
Hixson NH, Golub JS, Hammer T, Houston L, Syms M, Samy RN. Cochlear implant initial activation: modernizing the audiologic protocol. Poster presentation at the American Academy of Audiology Annual Meeting. Mar 2015. San Antonio, TX. [Poster Award]
Golub JS, Pottschmidt N, Weber JD, Zuccarello M, Pensak ML, Andaluz N, Samy RN. Optimization of the ultrasonic bone aspirator in retrosigmoid vestibular schwannoma removal. Poster presentation at the North American Skull Base Society Annual Meeting. Feb 2015. Tampa, FL.
Kuhn JJ, Samy RN, Golub JS, Choo DI. Efficacy of bilateral cochlear implants in children: gaps in the evidence. Oral presentation at the American Cochlear Implant Alliance Symposium on Cochlear Implants in Children. Dec 2014. Nashville, TN.
Samy RN, Golub JS, Kuhn JJ. Use of the flexible CO2 laser in hearing preservation cochlear implant surgery: a review of the University of Cincinnati experience. Oral presentation at the American Cochlear Implant Alliance Symposium on Cochlear Implants in Children. Dec 2014. Nashville, TN.
Golub JS, Roland JT, Samy RN. Six years of recalcitrant post cochlear implant infection treated with mastoid exteriorization and electrode coverage with bone pate. Oral presentation at the William House Cochlear Implant Study Group at the American Neurotology Society. Sept 2014. Orlando, FL.
Golub JS, Weber J, Samy RN, Zuccarello M, Pensak ML. Near elimination of bone dust dispersion with an ultrasonic bone aspirator: implications for the retrosigmoid approach. Poster presentation at the American Neurotology Society at COSM. May 2014. Las Vegas, NV.
Golub JS, Samy RN, Abruzzo, Zucarello M, Pensak ML. Use of Onyx embolization in lateral skull base surgery. Poster presentation at the North American Skull Base Society Annual Meeting. Feb 2014. San Diego, CA.
Golub JS, Samy RN, Houston L, Dimitrijevic A. Enhancing cochlear implant convenience with early activation and no shaving. Poster presentation at the Triological Combined Sections Meeting. Jan 2014. Miami, FL.
Golub JS, Ling L, Bierer SM, Nie K, Phillips JO, Rubinstein JT. Implantation of the vestibular system: monkey and man. Oral presentation at the American Otological Society at COSM. Apr 2012. San Diego, CA.
Golub JS, Nguyen TB, Palmiter RD, Hume CR, Tong L, Rubel EW, Stone JS. Death and regeneration of vestibular hair cells in the Pou4f3-diphtheria toxin receptor mouse model. Poster presentation at the Association for Research in Otolaryngology. Feb 2012. San Diego, CA.
Rubinstein JT, Phillips JO, Nie K, Ling L, Bierer SM, Golub J. Feasibility studies of the UW/Nucleus vestibular implant for Meniere’s disease: first human data. Oral presentation at the Collegium Oto-Rhino-Laryngologicum Amicitae Sacrum. Sept 2011. Bruges, Belgium.
Golub JS, Won JH, Drennan WR, Worman TD, Rubinstein JT. Spectral and temporal measures in Hybrid cochlear implant users: on the mechanism of electroacoustic hearing benefits. Oral presentation at the American Otological Society at COSM. May 2011. Chicago, IL.
Golub JS, Nguyen TB, Tong L, Palmiter RD, Rubel EW, Stone JS. Mammalian hair cell regeneration after selective genetic ablation of hair cells with diphtheria toxin. Poster presentation at the Association for Research in Otolaryngology. Feb 2011. Baltimore, MD.
Golub JS, Lin V, Nguyen TB, Hume CR, Oesterle EC, Stone JS. Inhibition of γ-secretase activity promotes non-mitotic regeneration of hair cells in the adult mouse utricle. Oral presentation at the Association for Research in Otolaryngology. Feb 2011. Baltimore, MD.
Committees / Societies / Memberships
2015-present, American Cochlear Implant Alliance
2015-present, American Auditory Society
2014-present, American Neurotology Society
2014-present, North American Skull Base Society
2013-present, Acoustic Neuroma Association
2010-present, Association for Research in Otolaryngology
2008-present, American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery
2007-present, American College of Surgeons
2004-present, American Medical Association
2001-present, Phi Beta Kappa Society
2012-2013, Society for Neuroscience
2004-2008, Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society
2002-2004, Tissue Engineering Society International
Honors & Awards
2015 Poster Award - American Academy of Audiology Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX
2007 Best Poster Award - Honorable mention, Voice Foundation Annual Symposium, Philadelphia, PA
- Age-related hearing loss
- Cochlear implantation in older adults
- Endoscopic and minimally invasive approaches to the ear and skull base
- Hair cell regeneration for sensorineural hearing loss
- Bioengineered prostheses for vestibular disorders and sensorineural hearing loss
- Pasha R, Golub JS, eds. Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery: Clinical Reference Guide, 4th ed. San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing. 2014.
- Golub JS, Schmitt NC, eds. Otolaryngology Surgical Instrument Guide. San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing. 2012.
Selected Scientific Papers:
- Golub JS, Luchsinger JA, Manly JJ, Stern Y, Mayeux R, Schupf N. Hearing loss and incident dementia in a multiethnic cohort. J Amer Ger Soc. 2017.
- Golub, JS. Building an endoscopic ear surgery program. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016.
- Golub JS, Weber JD, Leach J, Zuccarello M, Pensak ML, Samy RN. Feasibility of the ultrasonic bone aspirator in retrosigmoid vestibular schwannoma removal. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015. 153(3):427-32.
- Weber JD, Samy RN, Nahata A, Zuccarello M, Pensak ML, Golub JS. Reduction of bone dust dispersion with an ultrasonic bone aspirator: implications for retrosigmoid vestibular schwannoma removal. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015. 152(6): 1102-1107.
- Phillips JO, Ling L, Nie K, Jameyson E, Phillips CM, Nowack AL, Golub JS, Rubinstein JT. Vestibular implantation and longitudinal electrical stimulation of the semicircular canal afferents in human subjects. J Neurophysiol. 2015. 113(10): 3866-3892.
- Golub JS, Sharma A, Samy RN. A smartphone-optimized website for conveniently viewing otolaryngology journal abstracts. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014. 151(6): 972-975.
- Golub JS, Ling L, Bierer SM, Nie K, Nowack A, Shepherd SJ, Bierer SM, Jameyson E, Kaneko CR, Phillips JO, Rubinstein JT. Prosthetic implantation of the human vestibular system. Otol Neurotol. 2014. 35(1): 136-147.
- Golub, JS, Nguyen T, Tong L, Hume C, Palmiter RD, Rubel EW, Stone, JS. Hair cell replacement in adult mouse utricles after targeted ablation of hair cells with diphtheria toxin. J Neurosci. 2012. 32(43): 15093-15105.
- Golub JS, Won JH, Drennan WR, Worman TD, Rubinstein JT. Spectral and temporal measures in Hybrid cochlear implant users: on the mechanism of electroacoustic hearing benefits. Otol Neurotol. 2012. 33(2): 147-153.
- Levenberg S, Golub JS, Amit M, Itskovitz-Eldor J, Langer R. Endothelial cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2002. 99(7): 4391-4396.
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov