Scott Troob, MD
- Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery
This provider accepts new patients
Appointment Phone Number: (212) 305-8555
Scott H. Troob M.D joins the Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery as a dual-fellowship trained Head and Neck Oncologist, Microvascular and Facial Plastic Surgeon who will spearhead the development of a head and neck free tissue transfer program within the department. In addition to treating the full spectrum of benign and cancerous disorders of the head and neck, Dr. Troob performs reconstructive surgery for patients following head and neck cancer treatment, facial trauma, and facial paralysis.
Dr. Troob attended Jefferson Medical College where he was selected as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society and graduated summa cum laude in 2009. He went on to complete his Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Residency in 2014 at NYU, where he was selected into the Gold Humanism Society in recognition of his excellence in humanistic patient care, leadership, compassion, and dedication to service. Following Residency, he left New York for Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU), where he completed a fellowship in Advanced Head and Neck Oncology, Robotic, and Skull Base Surgery in 2015. He subsequently completed his second fellowship in Microvascular and Facial Plastic Surgery at OHSU in 2016.
His clinical interests include the treatment of benign conditions of the head and neck as well as the medical and surgical treatment of cancers of the oral cavity, oropharynx, larynx, hypopharynx, sinonasal tract, skull base, and skin. Dr. Troob focuses on minimally invasive surgery including transoral robotic surgery (TORS) for human papilloma virus (HPV) related tumors of the oropharynx (palate, tonsil, base of tongue), and sialoendoscopy for benign conditions of the salivary glands. Additionally, Dr. Troob specializes in microvascular free flap reconstruction of the head and neck following cancer surgery, as well as facial reanimation surgery in patients suffering from facial paralysis.
His research interests include the functional and aesthetic outcomes of patients undergoing microvascular free flap reconstruction, as well as developing novel techniques of monitoring perfusion of free flaps in the postoperative setting. He is the author of many peer-reviewed articles and book chapters, and has regularly presented his research at national meetings.
Areas of Expertise
- Plastic Surgery Within the Head and Neck
- Facial Cosmetic Reconstruction
- Free Tissue Transfers
- Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Microvascular Surgery
- Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Head and Neck Reconstruction
- Reconstructive Facial Surgery
- Cancer Reconstruction
- Facial Reconstruction
- Facial Nerve Disorders
- Facial Nerve Surgery
- Facial/Neck Scar Revision
- Ear Reconstruction
- External Ear Reconstruction
- Jaw Reconstruction
- Facial Trauma
- Head and Neck Surgery
- Head and Neck Cancer Surgery
- Head and Neck Cancers
- Head & Neck Tumors
- Skin Cancer
- Oral Surgery
- Benign Tumors - Oral Cavity
- Oral Cancer
- Oral Cavity Reconstruction
- Pharynx Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
- Laser Surgery
- Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery
- Larynx Cancer
- Larynx Surgery
- Nasal/Sinus Surgery
- Neck Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Parathyroid Surgery
- Parathyroid Cancer
- Parathyroid Surgery
- Salivary Gland
- Salivary Disorder
- Salivary Diseases
- Endoscopic Procedures
- Minimally Invasive Techniques
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Procedures
- Salivary Gland Disorder
- Sinus Surgery
- Skin Cancer Surgery
- Skull Base Surgery
- Skull Base Tumors
- Throat & Voice Problems
- Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Surgery
- Throat Cancer
- Voice and Vocal Cord Surgery
- Otolaryngology Surgery
- EarNose & Throat Surgery
Education & Training
- MD, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
- Residency: New York University Langone Medical Center
- Fellowship: 2015 Oregon Health & Science University
- Fellowship: 2016 Oregon Health & Science University
Harkness Pavilion180 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10032
- For new and current patient appointments, call:
- (212) 305-8555
ColumbiaDoctors Third Avenue880 Third Avenue
Floor: 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10022
- (212) 305-8555
Please contact the provider's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, NY Signature, POS, PPO, Signature Administrators, Student Health]
- Affinity [Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Amida Care [Special Needs Plan]
- Cigna [EPO, Great West, HMO, POS, PPO]
- Emblem/GHI [HMO, Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Emblem/HIP [ConnectiCare, EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield [Blue Priority, EPO, HMO, Medicare (Mediblue), NYP Employee Plan, Pathway (Exchange), POS, PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HealthPlus [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Fidelis Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Healthfirst [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Local 1199 [Local 1199]
- MagnaCare [MagnaCare]
- Multiplan [Multiplan]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty, Medicare Managed Care]
- UnitedHealthcare [Columbia University Employee Plan, Compass (Exchange), EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid (Community Plan), Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO]
- VNSNY CHOICE [Medicare Managed Care, SelectHealth]
- WellCare [Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Office Phone: 212-305-7401
- Home Phone: 212-305-8555
- Troob SH, Schimmel EK, Nesbit G, Andersen P. Application of Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS) in the Management of Oropharyngeal Venous Malformation.The Triological Society: Annual Spring Meeting at COSM: Chicago, IL.2016
- Troob SH, Petrisor D, Wax MK, Moneta L, Gonzalez J. Selective Fluorescent Angiography Evaluation of Free Flap Reconstruction of the Head and Neck is a Useful Addition to Current Management Paradigm.American Academy of Facial Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery: Annual Spring Meeting at COSM: Chicago, IL.2016
- Troob SH, Gerreci D, Gonzalez JD, Petrisor D, Wax MK. Use of implantable venous flow coupler in head and neck free flap reconstruction.The Triological Society: Combined Sections Meeting: Miami, FL.2016
- Troob SH, Allensworth J, Rosenthal E, Wax MK. Donor Site Morbidity of the Rectus Abdominis Free Flap in Head and Neck Reconstruction.The Triological Society: Combined Sections Meeting: Miami, FL.2016
- Troob SH, Wax MK, Ahmad FI, Labby A, Cross C, Gonzalez JD. Osteocutaneous Radial Forearm Free Flap in Non-Mandible Head and Neck Reconstruction. The Triological Society:Combined Sections Meeting: Miami, FL.2016
- Troob SH,Prall M, Morgan T, Brickman DS.Endometrioid Adenocarinoma Metastatic to the Neck Associated with Multinodular Goiter. American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck SurgeryAnnual Fall Meeting: Dallas, TX.2015
- Troob SH, Brickman D, Clayburgh D, Andersen P. Retropharyngeal lymph node dissection during transoral robotic surgery: patterns of metastasis and function outcomes.American Head and Neck Society: Annual Spring Meeting at COSM: Boston, MA.2015
- Troob SH, Gleysteen J, Light T, Brickman D, Clayburgh D, Andersen P, Gross N. The impact of prophylactic external carotid artery ligation on postoperative hemorrhage after transoral robotic surgery (TORS) for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.American Head and Neck Society: Annual Spring Meeting at COSM: Boston, MA.2015
- Troob SH, Singleton A, Anwar A, Tolisano A, Fang, Y, Roland JT, Waltzman S. Predicting performance outliers in adult cochlear implant recipients. American Otological Society: Annual Spring Meeting at COSM: Las Vegas, NV.2014
- Troob SH, Viet C, Flynn A, Yi Y, Schmidt BL. Sensory neurons regulate head and neck squamous cell carcinoma proliferation and gene expression.American Head and Neck Society: Annual Spring Meeting at COSM: Orlando, FL.2013
- Troob SH. Cosetti M, Latzman J, Shapiro W, Roland JT, Waltzman S. An evidence-based algorithm for intraoperative monitoring during cochlear implantation.American Neurotology Society: Annual Spring Meeting at COSM: Chicago, IL.2011
- Troob SH, Friedmann D, Suurna M. NK T-Cell lymphoma of the supraglottis.American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Foundation: Annual Meeting: San Francisco, CA.2011
- Troob SH, McGettigan B, Rosen M,Luginbuhl S.Endoscopic transsphenoidal approach to craniopharyngiomas.International Rhinologic Society: Rhinology World 2009 Meeting: Philadelphia, PA.2009
- Troob SH, Simpson S, Ying B, Aziz M, Bernik SF. Surgical excision of papillary lesions of the breast diagnosed by core needle biopsy (CNB): More than just the core.American Society of Breast Surgeons 8th Annual Meeting: Orlando, FL.2007
Committees / Societies / Memberships
American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
American Head and Neck Society
American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Global Health Activities
Kenya Relief - Otolaryngology Mission - Migori, Kenya - October 2013
Kenya Relief - Otolaryngology Mission - Migori, Kenya - May 2016
Honors & Awards
2013 Gold Humanism Honor Society, NYU Langone Medical Center
2013 Dennis Pappas, Sr. Annual Resident Research Award, NYU Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
2009 Summa cum laude, Jefferson Medical College
2008 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
2007 Association of Pathology Chairs National Pathology Honors Society
Clayburgh D, Stott W, Bolognone R, Palmer A, Achim V, Troob S, Li R, Brickman D, Graville D, Andersen P, Gross ND. A randomized controlled trial of corticosteroids for pain after transoral robotic surgery. Laryngoscope. 2017 Aug 29.
Troob S, Givi B, Hodgson M, Mowery A, Gross ND, Andersen PE, Clayburgh D. Transoral robotic retropharyngeal node dissection in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: Patterns of metastasis and functional outcomes. Head Neck. 2017 Oct;39(10):1969-1975.
Ahmad FI, Means C, Labby AB, Troob SH, Gonzalez JD, Kim MM, Li RJ, Wax MK. Osteocutaneous radial forearm free flap in nonmandible head and neck reconstruction. Head Neck. 2017 Sep;39(9):1888-1893.
Gleysteen J, Troob S, Light T, Brickman D, Clayburgh D, Andersen P, Gross N The impact of prophylactic external carotid artery ligation on postoperative bleeding after transoral robotic surgery (TORS) for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncol. 2017 Jul;70:1-6.
Sweeny L, Rosenthal EL, Light T, Grayson J, Petrisor D, Troob SH, Greene BJ, Carroll WR, Wax MK. Effect of Overlapping Operations on Outcomes in Microvascular Reconstructions of the Head and Neck. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Apr;156(4):627-635.
Troob SH, Clayburgh D. Management of the Subglottic Larynx Surgical and Non-Surgical Management. Bell: Oral, Head and Neck Oncology and Reconstructive Surgery. Elsevier. 2016.
Allensworth JJ, Troob SH, Weaver T, Gonzalez JD, Petrisor D, Wax MK. Secondary Free Flap Reconstruction Following Ablation for Acute Invasive Fungal Sinusitis Laryngoscope. October 2016.
Allensworth JJ, Troob SH, Lanciault C, Andersen P. High-Grade Malignant Transformation of a Radiation-Naive Nasopharyngeal Angiofibroma. Head and Neck.2016 Apr;38 Suppl 1: E2425-7
Givi B, Troob SH, Stott W, Cordeiro T, Andersen PE, Gross ND. Transoral Robotic Retropharyngeal Node Dissection. Head and Neck. June 2015.
Troob SH, Har-El G. Classification of Transoral Laser Microsurgery Sataloff'sComprehensive Textbook of Otolaryngology: Laryngology. Volume 4. JP Medical Publishers. 2015.
Ye Y, Bae SS, Viet CT, Troob S,Bernabe D, Schmidt BL. IB4(+) and TRPV1(+) sensory neurons mediate pain but not proliferation in a mouse model of squamous cell carcinoma. Behavioral and Brain Functions. 13;10:5 February 2014.
Cosetti M, Troob SH. Latzman J, Shapiro W, Roland JT, Waltzman S. An evidence-based algorithm for intraoperative monitoring during cochlear implantation. Otology & Neurotology. 33(2):169-76. February 2012.
Bernik SF, Troob S, Ying B, Simpson S, Axelrod D, Siegel B, Moncrief R, Mills C, Aziz M Papillary lesions of the breast diagnosed by core needle biopsy (CNB):71 cases with surgical follow-up. American Journal of Surgery. August 2008.
Troob S, Doghramji K, Boon M. Exploring GBAT as an OSAS treatment option. Sleep Review. March 2008.